Thursday, April 22, 2010

Windows New Firewall

I was just reading that Microsoft has incorporated a second firewall in Windows 7 for even greater security.  They have the firewall that was included in Windows XP plus an additional one.  Let's see a show of hands, how many people who use Windows Vista or Windows 7 are tired of the constant prompts asking you if you really meant to run that program you just double clicked on?

Now I don't know how many people out there remember the legal trouble that Microsoft has had in the past because they made claims of greater security for their customers who unfortunately found out the hard way that there were serious flaws that lead to security breaches, financial losses and law suits. Personally I have never relied on an integrated firewall, not in Windows or the equipment my internet service provider has given me. To my friends I have recommended PCTools, AVG or Zonelabs. They have received good reviews and in my experience did not drastically reduce my computers performance the way Norton and McAfee did.

As someone who has worked as a programmer for a large software company, I can tell you that in my experience the marketing department does not listen to the programming department regarding what the software will do and more importantly when it would be finished. They would tell the customers whatever they wanted to hear in order to make the sale.  Then after the sale has been made will come back and tell the programmers, "Oh by the way, we just sent the customer the product yesterday and we promised them this software would load their dishwasher, walk their dog and take out their trash too..." So consequently, we had to go back and try and make the promises of the salesmen true. Now I surely didn't mind the size of my paychecks with all of the overtime that had been approved for us to make this happen but my point is never trust a software product that has only recently been released. History has shown that to be a bad move.

No comments:

Post a Comment